It's beautiful days like today that make me wish I still had my yard to work in, the trails behind the house to walk through and a house filled with family before they all moved to different states. It's fun to look back and if I close my eyes I am right there again. I have four sons - three of whom wanted out of California and one who when the time is right will also probably move out of state.
They live in Washington, Montana and Oregon. It's interesting to me that they all chose the Northwest. One lives just down the mountain from us, our youngest and his son.
We had an acre and I loved yard work. I worked from home doing medical transcription and when I wasn't working I was out in the yard. Our the back yard we could walk down a wash area and over to the a trail that took you to a waterfall. We were at the foot of the mountains so it made sense that our next move would be to the mountains. I would see those mountains every day and always loved to visit them.
We had three weddings in the yard and a couple baby showers, a hot August night party and several other get togethers, poker nights, and i loved having all my family around.



It is lovely to have family around you but not always possible.
ReplyDeleteOur memories and photographs can be so important, especially in these times of Covid when get-togethers are still not possible for all. These days its telephone calls, Skype (or similar) calls.
Lovely pictures and mosaics on your post here.
All the best Jan
Such happy, beautiful memories and now making more happy, beautiful memories
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel! Sometimes I long for those younger days. Your former home looks beautiful as well as the yard. By the way I love your new blog header - just gorgeous.
ReplyDeletethanks Jan, CJ and Linda.
ReplyDeleteI do miss those days too...not the working part but the get togethers at your house and also mine for the swim parties. These photos of the house and yard are gorgeous and so is the header photo of your plants in pots on the railing at your house now. Also the house was great for the grandkids that lived close enough to come to grandma's house. And my daughter felt like she had brothers because she was there so much as a kid.
ReplyDeleteSe ve una casa muy acogedora y con muy buena iluminación.
ReplyDeleteBesos
laura - those were the days that are my best memories of the place ... and now they all live so far away. that's life i guess.
ReplyDeletethanks Antonia.
Such loving memories in photos ~ XX
ReplyDeleteLiving moment by moment,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)
Wow! what a piece of property! Your back patio was amazing and so inviting, as was the garden. I hope whomever bought it and lived in it after you took care of it and put as much love into caring for it as you obviously did. At times I find myself nostalgic for the house we lived in before this one, so I know how you feel. It's a place in time as much as anything else.
ReplyDeleteThanks Carol.
ReplyDeleteHi HFH... Thank you - we have gone by several times - meaning - behind the house, behind the back yard was a bridle trail and we could walk there and check things out. The people who bought it totally have redone the back yard - it actually looks really nice but nothing like we had it. They seem really nice and they have a lot of kids like we did so we were happy to see them having and enjoying this big hosue - it had five bedrooms, two offices, basically two family rooms and a living room. It was a great house for big family get togethers.
That is a gorgeous house & garden, a brilliant place for a family.
ReplyDeleteWhen you said "yard" I forgot in the USA it's what we would call a garden & I had the UK image of a small concrete block surrounded by high brick walls. Ours was like that & I knew when I got a house it had to have a lawn, it didn't matter what size. That came from going to a school which had gardens and was surrounded by beautiful lawns.
I wasn't bothered about the flowers or trees I just wanted green, green grass!
Thanks for the insight into your family home.
Wow...what a gorgeous home you had...lots of beautiful memories too.
ReplyDeleteYou do live in a wonderful place now too.
Part of me wants out of CA. politics wise...but I really love everything else about this state and all it has to offer.
Sue
thanks Winifred. There are times when we had that place i actually wished for a small courtyard type area and that's it...for a yard. But then I loved getting out there and working and keeping busy with it. Green grass ..almost a thing of the past in California in so many places as people plant drought tolerant trees, and such.
ReplyDeleteHi Sue, I get that - about CA politics - most of my kids have moved away and like that they don't live in California anymore. I, too, love both So Cal, Central and No. Cal - so much beauty everywhere.