Life goes on up here in the mountains at a much slower pace than in the past (Past meaning about 12 years or so ago when I lived down the mountain) . Back then I would often get bored and also had money, lol...to visit TJ Max, Kohl's, Marshalls and other fun places to spend money on useless items I didn't need. Oh yeah, don't get me started on Pic and Save which became Big Lots and was a black hole when it came to buying NOTHING i needed. Now my time is spent going through stuff and deciding what to get rid of. That's what keeps me busy or going through so many photo albums trying to figure out how to divide them up and give the photos to each kid without spending the rest of my retirement doing that (there are SO MANY PHOTOS)... now including photos of grandkids.
And to add to the above, my dad wrote out his biography a few years before he passed away in 2001 and it is very very long, many typed pages and handwritten pages also. With that, there is a whole lot of art work, poetry, and an album filled simply with his across country trip he took after my mom died. In that album are photos of each place he stopped, a poem to go with each state, etc. I literally don't know how to manage making copies of this for all four of my guys. The problem is a lot of it is handwritten and won't copy well so it needs to be typed up. Two of the guys especially want copies and I'm sure the other two would also.
I'll figure it all out next winter when we are snowed in again.
Thank God my mom didn't appear to have a lot of talents except cooking and playing the piano by ear. She could really honky tonk that piano. She didn't garden, paint, write stories, or put anything down on paper I would need to copy and put together. But, she loved to dance and really was a fun mom in her younger years when we were kids. She died in 1985 so as I got older I never got to ask the questions I would have but didn't think to in my 30's. Like who was she really - ...I have no idea, other than my mom.
Anyway a few photos from another trip down to Redlands to go to the Kimberly Crest House. I love to hang around the fountain and see the fish and lily pads. I've never taken a tour of the inside - one of these days we will. I believe the photo of the smaller building is in the back of the mansion and I think that is where some of the help stayed. Not sure about that. Next to this mansion is a beautiful park to walk through. I can spend hours down there.
What a lovely place to just sit and enjoy. Terrific photos of it too.
ReplyDeleteI hear you on sorting through memories. I do do an annual softcover book from Blog to Print . It has all of my blog post for that year. Its like my diary or journal. My 2 sons will have to decide who gets what. At least there will be some record of who we are and our family activities. Started it in 2005 when I began blogging. We are trying to corral our snapshots into some sort of order and when we don't know who or what they are about..out they go. Saving our kids the trouble.
Maybe you have to give your sons the job of retyping and then copying. Takes some of the pressure off you.
Two have offered but they are both really busy with their jobs and I think it would probably sit there for a long time. At least if I start I mighy get a momentum going, lolol. Yes that's it - that will hopefully do it. i also took way too many photos of my kids and their families as they got older - so much is digital of course now but those early days I always had a camera with me and the money I spent on getting them printed. wow. I sure hope your weather cools off. I don't think I could handle that anymore. We only have a swamp cooler up here and with a high wood beam roof with little insulation that is upstairs it gets really hot. I for the most part stay downstairs and even bring my dinner downstairs to eat and I think the hottest we have gotten is 89. Actually your idea about the blogs is a good idea. I have had blogs in one form or another since about the same time maybe even a little earlier. I have kept blogs for every grandkid - nine of them. They never really seemed to care when they were little. M y oldest a few months back whose mom recently passed at a young age, and we basically helped raise him - ...He was so excited at age 20 that we kept this blog for him
DeleteRecuerdos que todos tenemos. Es la vida Sandy, vamos acumulando vivencias y gusta verlas así volvemos a vivir esos momentos recordando también a los que ya nos dejaron. Preciosas fotos.
ReplyDeleteUn abrazo.
Thanks Laura - I love going there.
DeleteMy son advises that Google Drive is the best option for storing photos, but I have been using FB privately to store our photos.
ReplyDeleteKimberley Crest is beautiful , Sandy.
Love the gorgeous photos you shared.
Hugs and blessings
hI Veronica - I have several years of photos on google storage and then when I got an iphone a year ago i started uploading to the icloud. I like them both. I figured out a way to do the biography of my dad and other things. I'll start a blog just for the four guys so it was basically be private and I can upload his story and everything else of his and also his father's art work and then they can all figure out how to copy it and p rint it some day if they want it. Duh...don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, lol.
DeleteMuy bellas imagenes de esa gran mansion
ReplyDeleteYa tienes buena tarea, para desempeñar. Es cuestión de tiempo, que lo pongas al día todo lo que has recopilado. Me gusta mucho la gran mansión de tu fotografía.
ReplyDeleteUn abrazo
I hear ya on the pictures! We have boxes of old photos including those I inherited from my folks. A few moves back I have the grand idea I was going to divide them all up and give to my nephews and my kids - I had a month before we moved and I thought that was plenty of time. I got so bogged down looking and trying to decide what to keep and what to take or giveaway, I finally gave up, and we still have every box.
ReplyDeleteThose are beautiful photos of a lovely place to sit and enjoy. Hope you are enjoying your summer. :)
Hi Linda. So far it has been ok up here. But yesterday evening was the best. A bit of a monsoonal weather system but not a hot humid one - high clouds and breezes. It was great.
DeleteI did enjoy your photographs ...
ReplyDeleteThose water lilies are lovely.
All the best Jan
Thanks Jan.
DeleteI really enjoyed these photos. Thanks for sharing. Understand about not thinking at the time to ask about family things. Now its way too late, and we will never know. I guess it doesnt matter any more anyway. Life for us goes on as we make it. I envy you living in the mountains. I mean REALLY, REALLY envy!!
ReplyDeletethanks JC . Right now I am so glad to be living up in the mountains. It's hot below - way too hot for me anymore. We were going to go do our monthly shopping down the hill on Wednesday and no way now am I going down there.
DeletePrecious friend Sandy thank you so much for sharing these beautiful memories with us .
ReplyDeleteI loved each bit of it.
How nice your father wrote autobiography before leaving this world. I bet it will be an immense joy and peace for his children each time they will read it in future because of all his talents and fun he shared with you all!
Your mom loved dance which is also an amazing way of self expression indeed: )
I bet your memory chest has fair share of her golden memories as well besides she was your mother .
I even at 52 trying to be minimalist so I can focus on better things instead cleaning and dusting stuff all day.
This is something we learn with age only: )
Hugs
Thanks Baili for your loving comment.
DeleteThe mansion is majestic and views Breathtaking!
ReplyDeleteJust stopping by to say hello ...
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/