Translate

Sunday, November 17, 2019

THE OTHER DAY AT BIG BEAR LAKE - A FEW THINGS i saw


First off the Solar Observatory in Big Bear Lake.  I've written on it before but here is a clip from Wikipedia

Big Bear Solar Observatory is the premier university-based solar observatory in the United States. It is operated by New Jersey Institute of Technology

addendum:  I thought to go see if there was any recent news on the observatory and saw this at the link  (It's dated 11/18/19 and this is 17th so not sure where the article is from.  Link if you are interested.  LINK HERE

".....Scientists at Big Bear have also captured the first high-resolution images, for example, of magnetic fields and plasma flows originating deep below the Sun's surface, tracing the evolution of sunspots and magnetic flux ropes through the chromosphere before their dramatic appearance in the corona as flaring loops..."




 Walking along I saw smoke and at first thought a fire was starting in this area of houses along the lake but thankfull someone was burning logs in their fireplace.

It was a gorgeous day and I was happy to see that this white house whose windows hard been boarded up - the big windows - have now been replaced with new ones.  It was boarded up for months - maybe a year or two so this was nice to see.






11 comments:

  1. Goodness, when I saw that smoke in your photograph I too thought fire!
    Thankfully not … just a very nice selection of photographs, it really is a lovely area.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beautiful photos! The observatory looks so beautiful in that setting. New Jersey Institute of Technology operates it? Didn't expect that. Did I miss the link? I saw the photographs but not a link to Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Laura where it says "link here" should be a livelink i...i'll check to make sure it came out right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me gustan mucho laz imágenes que has capturado. Las casas tienen un lugar privilegiado pafa disfrutar de la Naturaleza.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  5. The observatory is a very impressive and you photographed it very beautifully. The white house is very nice.
    It'a a delight to look at it. Thanks God that it wasn't fire! Very beautiful photographs, very colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi -VEntana - ... I love those houses on the shoreline - they do have a special place. thanks.

    Kaya - ... thanks - I was so worried at first that it was a fire but Mike pointed out that it was a fireplace probably and we never did hear an engine go by. It did start dissipating as time went on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat pictures of the observatory. Those homes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that house is quite magical. I'm glad to see there is some life going back into it. Smoke hovering is always scary...glad its a fireplace fire. It does certainly add to the photos character though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful lake & a fabulous house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea there was a solar observatory there. Love that white house!

    ReplyDelete