Translate

Thursday, November 14, 2019

WEEPING SILVER BIRCH

I've seen this tree now for seven autumns here in the mountains.  I just recently thought to try and identify it which I think I did correctly.  Unless I'm wrong, it is a "weeping silver birch".    I read that it is best suited for warm temps in summer and very cold in winter so that is why it appears so beautiful here at the lake.

It's a slow tree - it appears to move through the seasons in slow motion.  Some trees get their fall colors and before you know it the leaves are dropping.  This one has been moving towards this state it seems for six weeks or so - slowly going from green/yellow leaves to these beautiful gold leaves and still the ground beneath it doesn't have much leaf droppage.  (Just realized I don't think I've ever used the word droppage in anything I've written in the past)...Droppage...hmm

The only thing I remember about a "weeping" type of tree is when I was a kid in Kansas and we had a weeping willow tree which my sister and I would play under. 

Do you have any weeping trees in your yard or on your street?


16 comments:

  1. That is a beauty. They look so much prettier beside water.

    No weeping trees in our garden as it's not big enough but there are some really lovely laburnums on a nearby road. You don't see them a lot now as people have recognised how poisonous they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good to know - have to look of "labumums" now. thanks Winifred

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful! We also used to use the branches of the willow tree to swing on like a rope swing. Do you remember that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes yes i do remember that - ...absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maravilla de luz y color. Es fantástica. Sandy.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sus ramas parecen cortinas, entre las que se divisa el lago.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Laura! and Ventana De Foto (sorry don't know your name)...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that beautiful golden/yellow color of the leaves. We have weeping willow trees and weeping cherry trees around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous tree and photo ~ love the golden colors ^_^

    Happy Day to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a pretty tree! We have a variety of tall oaks on our acreage, and one of them has lower branches that droop. An arborist was here with our electric company last year and walked the property with us identifying all of our trees. Did I have a notepad with me, and can I remember them? Nooooo! But I believe he said that the droopy one was a pin oak.

    ReplyDelete
  11. __ Nature, a fine picture of life's earthly changes Sandy... and we are there. _m

    as fall scents travel
    these cool and painted breezes
    gold leaves frame the pond

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful leaves and I really like the photo of the Lake and the cascading leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only weeping tree I know is a weeping willow. I have never seen the weeping silver birches, I am even not sure do we have them where I live.
    Sandy, you took a very beautiful picture of this tree. I like how you framed it! This is a very poetic picture!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beauty! Droppage is a fun word to use and there is a lot of that in the fall. There used to be a gigantic old weeping willow in the downtown where I grew up. I loved playing under it and climbing it. We had a weeping cherry in our old yard. It was amazing when in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving the comments from all of you. Thanks.

    Val.... I also thought of another name for it "The Let Down" ...only because I watched a series on NEtflix and that term stayed with me...lol. Weeping willows are definitely fun for kids and adults alike. I need to look up weeping cherry.

    Kaya, thanks so much. I stood under those branches and the feeling was so awesome looking through to the lake.

    thanks Sue , it's such a cool tree.

    Linda - oh ...darn - I would have loved a tour with a tree guy naming what I have.



    Thanks Magyar. I'm putting that haiku with the photo!

    thank you Carol - it was that gold that drew me in.

    thanks Connie - two of you have mentioned weeping cherry - i have to go look that up!



    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a lovely photograph, the colours, the setting just perfect :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete