Standfield Marsh is a wildlife and waterfowl preserve and if the area gets enough snow and rain it will be filled with water in the winter, spring and summer months. Usually by fall the water has evaporated and just a small amount around this little island in the middle still remains. It's weird to think that just a few months ago in summer helicopters were coming by to scoop water out of the marsh to fight a fire somewhere in Big Bear Valley.
So before we got there the other day I said I wanted to walk out to the island and Mike said, there will probably be some water left and your shoes will get wet. Sure enough there was.
I had Mike take photos of me so I could prove I almost walked on to the island. (as if it's some far off island, lol) The bottom two photos are when it was almost full - when it's full it goes on both sides of the footbridge.
So I'm in blue and I am standing at the edge of the water. He zoomed up some because he couldn't see me at all if he hadn't.
All of this to say I always feel so good as soon as we drive in to Big Bear. Maybe I'm meant to live here for awhile. There are a lot more options to hike and walk around here that aren't all up and down hills.
So nice to see blue sky and no more smoke there! Looks like there's even some room for more water once the wet season comes. That's always a good thing.
ReplyDeleteThe contrast is huge between the wet season and the summertime! I almost could not see you way out there!.
ReplyDeleteit is crazy up here - people sliding all over. Mike already has rescued some people trying to get up our road. Both times the ones he helped and drove home or helped them get going were women. I don't know why people think they can get up a road like ours without chains. It's always an experience this time of year watching people. A few years ago we had people in the house waiting for chains. Long line on the 18 for chain control. It's not even that bad except the colder it gets it turns to ice.
ReplyDeleteYes quite a contrast up therein Big Bear - Yes the marsh and the lake of course, will filled up nicely this coming winter and spring. Blue skies - no smoke wonderful...
Looks like a beautiful spot. Chains on tires? Illegal here in MA. Thanks for the lovely card. To go on the blog next week. Take care
ReplyDeleteEl agua hace una buena curva, visible en las primeras fotos.
ReplyDeleteDebió de ser un paeo agradable, con las buenas vistas que aprecio en tus fotografías.
Besos
I guess I will stay in the "Flatlands" when the weather turns Dicey...
ReplyDeleteSlipping and sliding don't sound like fun to me.
I love your photos of the marsh and the brilliant blue sky.
Woke up this morning to 31F temperature.. The heat was cranking on all night long. BRRR
Sue
hi Sue - i think we were below that because the roads were all iced over today. Yes best not to go to mountains after it snows ...They finally came by today to lay whatever it is they put down on ice...cinder or something.
ReplyDeleteCj - yes chains are definitely required in the mountains. oh the card - sorry it was so late due to my confusing organization skills.
thanks antonia
Stunning.
ReplyDeleteGosh, these photos are absolutely breathtaking!!😮
ReplyDeleteI can only dream of walking in a paradise like this...oh thank you so, so much for sharing these...I really enjoyed looking at them - and dreaming!😊😊
Have a super day!
Hugs xxx
thanks Regine and Ygraine. I love finding more and more places to get some walks in.
ReplyDelete