I want to place the link HERE so if you live anywhere that might experience what this family did you will be more prepared if you see what they found out worked and what they learned will be also important in the event of an ice storm.
I don't know why I didn't know what parts of Oregon were going through because all the news I've seen was about Texas. I don't watch a lot of news so maybe I just missed the Oregon ice storm.
Living in the mountains where we have lost power for up to a week (which I only experienced three days of)... i find this info really helpful.
The LInk above takes you to HotflashHomestead which is in Oregon.
Whoa, I didn't ever see a story on that, only about Texas. That was some ice storm and a long time without power. Just today I thought of her and wondered where she lives. Then you put this up...synchronicity, maybe?
ReplyDeleteGood grief that was horrendous. I have no idea how we would manage without power or water doesn't bear thinking about!
ReplyDeleteHi Winifred.i know - i think i'd have a hard time making it through something like that... wow.
ReplyDeleteyes laura that was interesting you had her in your thoughts.
Wow that is an incredible story. I heard nothing about it, but I probably would not have given it much thought if I hadn't read her blog post. Good information.
ReplyDeleteThat was really good information. I have buckets of water to flush the toilets with. Now have a solar power wall as a battery backup so vital areas of the house can run, the well, the sump pump, pretty much everything except the stove, washer, dryer. I didn't think about the rain water collection. We haven't been without electricity for a couple of days so the water in pitchers and kettles has been sufficient. I guess I need to plan for being without electricity for days. Not much of an issue during Spring Summer Fall as solar panels will run the electricity and charge the battery. But in Winter with snow on the roof, not much chance of going more than a day on the solar battery. We also don't have a heat source as we don't have a fireplace or wood stove. Thanks for this link.
ReplyDeleteDebe de ser muy penoso, que haya un corte de luz, en los días más fríos del invierno.
ReplyDeleteBesos
CJ - yeah the water thing is so important it would seem especially for days on end without power. I'm going to get more serious about what I need up here in the mountains. The weather is getting extreme in many places I imagine and we only get big news on a certain area in the states. That's great you have solar. I know that we should probably get some barrels to save rain water or melting snow. I don't know how long a huge freeze like that would take to melt here in the mountains and how many power lines it would take down..okay got to stop thinking about that now or i'll have nightmares.
ReplyDeleteLinda - I wouldn't have known either without a visit to her blog.
Antonia - .. Yes texas really got it this year. Coldest in decades.
Honestly, it would make me so happy if our experience could end up helping others get ready for the next natural disaster! Life seems to get less and less predictable as time goes on, so it never hurts to be prepared to be self sufficient for a couple of weeks, minimum. Funny how quickly the grid falls apart once it starts getting overwhelmed.
ReplyDeleteThe Grid - yes. I know here in the mountains Edison has been working for two years to replace poles and lines and update their stuff. They started around the time PGE was having all the problems up north. Every day except in heavy snow - they are out working in various areas. This is all great but if we were to get an ice storm I have no clue how good all this would hold up. I thought what you went through and what you learned would be of big help to whoever might read it. Thanks for laying it all out over at your place.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing, this will be helpful to others.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
We had two bad ice storms in my life time, that we were without power for a week! Lucky, mom has can goods!! And, we stocked up with water before hand. The weather people were telling us what might happen! Thanks for sharing this Sandy! Big Hugs!
ReplyDeleteDo you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via (financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) whats-App +918929509036 Dr James Eric Finance Pvt Ltd Thanks
ReplyDelete