Translate

Friday, August 2, 2024

A DAY BACK IN MEMORY - 2011.

 

A special moment with the grandkids when they are younger.  This was a day back in 2011.   Hunter is now 22 and Cayden graduated high school this year.  I'm glad I have these memories.


 A very tiny praying mantis was found near the park we took them too. Forget the play structures - they weren't interested. What they wanted was to take this guy home and put him in a cage for a pet. I talked them out of it. The praying mantis still is a free spirit, not caged.

The little bug seemed to pose for us before we said one last goodbye and they let it go.












I like this quote by Thomas Berry.

"We see quite clearly that what happens to the nonhuman happens to the human. What happens to the outer world happens to the inner world. If the outer world is diminished in its grandeur then the emotional, imaginative, intellectual, and spiritual life of the human is diminished or extinguished.

Without the soaring birds, the great forests, the sounds and coloration of the insects, the free-flowing streams, the flowering fields, the sight of the clouds by day and the stars at night, we become impoverished in all that makes us human."


Thomas Berry



21 comments:

  1. Sweet memory - Cj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww that is such a sweet moment! I'm glad you talked them out of the jar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly love this post and the wonderful photos of the mantis. I saw my first one when we moved here to the Sacramento area. So fascinating and quite alien looking. Don't you love when these memories come up and we can go back and savor the happenings again?
    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog this morning. Its so appreciated.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Con esas buenas fotografías, la pueden recordar siempre y no se priva de vivir en su ambiente.
    Me gusta las buenas siluetas, que has capturado.
    Un abrazo.
    Si miras en la lista de spam, verás, que otro comentario que he hecho igual que este, ha desaparecido, para aparecer en esa lista.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious sharing dear Sandy!
    I think i can imagine how priceless are those moments for you that you shared with your grand kids :)
    I felt glad that tiny creature was set free by them :
    I have witnessed children catching butterflies or fireflies and keeping then under bottle that was uneasy feeling always honestly
    None of my own kids did this though. I saw my eldest son helping birds or insects many times when he was growing up: )
    I loved the quote and i agree fully
    All the beautiful phenomena you mentioned belong to our soul side which cannot nurture without CONNECTING to them

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute that they wanted to take the praying mantis home, so nice to hear that the praying mantis is still living it's best life in the wild! Also love the quote, beautiful words! Hope you have an amazing rest of the summer!

    xoxo, Midori

    https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/panda-village-koala-world

    ReplyDelete
  7. Que recuerdos más bonitos. Preciosas las fotos de las mantis, las siluetas se ven perfectas. Conservemos la naturaleza , nos regala mucho.
    Buen agosto.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet memory!
    It’s heartwarming to hear about your grandkids' fascination with the praying mantis.
    I also loved the Thomas Berry quote.
    It beautifully captures how the natural world enriches our lives and how important it is to cherish these moments.

    Hugs and blessings, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Photos of praying mantis are awesome ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    clm ~ A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola Sandy.
    Doy contigo por esta frase tuya en el blog de Kaya, amiga mía y fotógrafa de aves.
    "Necesito horas para mi primer termo de café, etc. Me gustaría salir temprano, pero probablemente no lo haga."
    Curiosa confesión del recurrente "me gustaría", "pero no lo haga". :))))))
    Y doy con un blog dinámico y de interés. Y más en esta época en la que los "habituales" han debido marchar casi todos de vacaciones... Dejando esto como un secarral literario...
    He ojeado algunas entradas tuyas y, entretenidas, cercanas, naturales. Un placer.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful memories . The photos are lovely too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gracias.Te deseo una buena semana Sandy.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog ~ hugs,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    clm ~ A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My nephew is also at the stage of his life where he's curious about all animals.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful memories that were saved in photos and in your heart.
    Time passes so quickly, it feels so good to remember special moments from the past.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leave a comment. It's so fun to see kids get interested in and fascinated by all sorts of bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do hope my comment comes through okay.
    Many thanks for your thoughts and good wishes, they are appreciated.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Precious friend Sandy good to hear from you
    Thanks for the comment and i will be checking my emails .. most welcome!
    Hugs and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your encounter with the tiny praying mantis is a beautiful reminder of the delicate balance between nature and humanity. Thomas Berry’s quote perfectly complements this sentiment, highlighting the profound connection we share with the natural world. 🌍 Read my new blog post: www.melodyjacob.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. How beautiful. I believe that any form of relationship, whatever it may be, is there in this world for our education and evolution. Your account of the mantra is so interesting. Happy new month of September.

    ReplyDelete