She was 18 and she abhored her parents "rules" and knew she could make it alone in the world without their support. God knows, they would like to keep control of her, ...everything in her life trying to dictate how she should be in the world. Do this, do that, look this way, don't cuss, hang your clothes up, keep your bed made, don't date that loser, a never ending litany of shoulds, do's and not do's.
The day she made the first really bold move in her life was a sunny bright day, blue skies and a chill in the air consistent with the season - the birth of Jesus, the Christmas spectacle along with the constant barrage of reasons to buy crap to make everybody's kids happy and teach them about Jesus. Ha!! Smirk.
Her parents were gone and the house was quiet and somewhat chilly. She threw on a jacket and started carrying her few belongings she had packed and placed them outside. She went back in the house and took one last look before she left. Was she going to miss the place - highly doubtful she thought. She might return in the future just to say hello to these wardens who masqueraded as parents.
As she closed the door behind her she felt a sense of freedom she had never experienced before. She picked up her bags and walked over to the old little camper she would now call home, opened the door and went inside. Ahh....she exclaimed - freedom at last. I will never ever again depend on my parent's support and guidance for my life - After all i am 18 and free to be who i want to be.
And for the next five years she lived a free and easy life right here in her parent's little old camper.
Oh, my gawd, I loved it! I kept seeing you in the narrative, then Erin in the narrative...until I got to the end. Surprised me ;) Love the ending....hahahahaha.
ReplyDeleteHAHA, glad you liked it. It did kind of sound like me in the beginning butremember, first I moved to the garage for awhile and then eventually I snuck out and ran away for awhile. I didn't live in a camper though. Going through old photos I saw this one and a story was just waiting to be told.
ReplyDeleteI actually had forgotten you moved to the garage first! Did I visit you there? I can't believe I don't remember.
ReplyDeleteno i wouldn't let you in. ....ha
ReplyDeleteDon't you remember the whole garage was covered with pictures out of magazines all over the wall. I had the pool table in there but dad let me move a bed and other stuff in. I was 17 almost 18 when I did that.
i think you were working for City of LA and you had your own life going on for the most part.
What a great story! That could easily have been me :) Nothing like being free to live your life the way it suits you.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I love the header of your blog!
Thanks Martha, she was a bit of a rebel and sounds like u were too, ;)
ReplyDeleteI believe you wouldn't let me in...but even thought I worked in L.A. at city hall, I still lived at home and I really don't have a memory of you. Were we even talking to each other? lol. Wait!!! I know why you wouldn't let me in. It was probably because you kept borrowing my clothes and didn't want me to see MY clothes laying around your living quarters. ;)
ReplyDeletethat is absolutely right Laura - my favorite article of clothing was your grey dress with a white collar - there was something about it I liked. I was dating Mike at the time and we spent quite a bit of time in there - just hanging out really - and listening to my stereo. I think I was in there about three or four months - of course time felt different back then - now it goes by in a flash. I use to come into your/our room if you remember,to smoke cigarettes and listen to Joan Baez and Bob Dylan. I can't believe we actually thought no one would notice. But thinking back, that was after I moved away and I would come home to visit.
ReplyDeleteHa, memories!! I definitely remember you liked that particular dress...one of my favorites. You either thought I had good taste or at least I made enough money to go buy some cool clothes! So then I believe you figured you'd just let me buy them and you would wear them when you had a chance to sneak them out of my closet. ;)
ReplyDeleteShe didn't get very far, did she. Ha! Fun story. Gaining independence is so important and so difficult for some.
ReplyDeletehi laura and connie - ..yeah laura you had the money, I didn't. So your clothes worked fine for me.
ReplyDeletethanks Connie - ...there's a little truth in it but mostly fiction.