So true that the older you get the desire is less. What I do still want some day is a house that sits on a level street, where I can walk out and go either right or left and not have to walk down a hill or walk back up to come home. I'm so over hill walking. Where I live now it's up and down a hill just to go to the store or the lake. If I'm out hiking or taking a walk around the lake I don't' mind hills but I really don't want to live on one.
So in this area if I was to choose a different house to move to (I've probably posted these pics before but I can't find them on my blog),..... it wouldn't be overlooking a lake or close to town. It would be a level street with at least three to four miles or more one way or the other to walk before coming to an uphill street.
I also want the outside to look neat and clean but still have a feeling of nature around. A front porch like this would be nice - covered, shaded from the sun. This house (I looked it up) is about 1400 square feet, 3 bd 1 bath . I definitely would want at least 1 1/2 baths but I guess I could learn to live with one bathroom. Heck I had to do that when we were first married and lived in apartments. We've owned 3 houses in our past - the first two where in neighborhoods with level streets and the third one where we lived almost 30 years was up a long hill and it was just our road itself that was level otherwise we always had that up and down walk. I got use to it though and we often on purpose found walks we could go into the hills for exercise. (we lived in foothills).
Now, I want level. So of all the houses I've seen in our town this is the house and street I would choose to live on. I like that it has a "little" yard and mostly cement which in this case doesn't look bad. The yard would be so easy to maintain.
Where I am now we have the forest on all sides and that means a yard that requires a lot of clean up especially since in June, the county comes around with notices of what has to be done for clearing space and pine needle pick up to make the house more defensible from fires. The amount of bags and barrels we put out every trash day during the one month or more before this is quite a bit. It's almost done though and I'm happy for that.
The more I look at this house - the more I would love to live here. But, it's not for sale (which I wouldn't buy a house any more) and it's not for rent.
So in this area if I was to choose a different house to move to (I've probably posted these pics before but I can't find them on my blog),..... it wouldn't be overlooking a lake or close to town. It would be a level street with at least three to four miles or more one way or the other to walk before coming to an uphill street.
I also want the outside to look neat and clean but still have a feeling of nature around. A front porch like this would be nice - covered, shaded from the sun. This house (I looked it up) is about 1400 square feet, 3 bd 1 bath . I definitely would want at least 1 1/2 baths but I guess I could learn to live with one bathroom. Heck I had to do that when we were first married and lived in apartments. We've owned 3 houses in our past - the first two where in neighborhoods with level streets and the third one where we lived almost 30 years was up a long hill and it was just our road itself that was level otherwise we always had that up and down walk. I got use to it though and we often on purpose found walks we could go into the hills for exercise. (we lived in foothills).
Now, I want level. So of all the houses I've seen in our town this is the house and street I would choose to live on. I like that it has a "little" yard and mostly cement which in this case doesn't look bad. The yard would be so easy to maintain.
Where I am now we have the forest on all sides and that means a yard that requires a lot of clean up especially since in June, the county comes around with notices of what has to be done for clearing space and pine needle pick up to make the house more defensible from fires. The amount of bags and barrels we put out every trash day during the one month or more before this is quite a bit. It's almost done though and I'm happy for that.
The more I look at this house - the more I would love to live here. But, it's not for sale (which I wouldn't buy a house any more) and it's not for rent.
Es preciosa la casa. Es cansado subir cuestas. Yo vivo en una ciudad, bastante llana.
ReplyDeleteBesos
That looks perfect for you and me too! lol. I so wish that could happen for you. I guess we're spoiled about bathrooms because I want two bathrooms also. We grew up in a small house with 1 bathroom and until we bought our own houses we always had 1 bathroom. If I lived alone it wouldn't be a problem. Actually, I see similarity with the house you posted and the one we grew up in. Looks like home to me!!
ReplyDeleteI totally understand what you are saying ~ there are always trade offs ~ What I think about too is just being able to walk out of the house and go for a walk without hills ~ but yet I have such a spectacular view and don't want to give it up and right now can't go out much with the 'sheltering in place.' so I am content to live where I live ~
ReplyDeleteYour 'dream house photo' looks very appealing ~ hope you find one you like ~
Be Well, Be Safe,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)
Our trailer is not level but we do live in nature. Love that. The pictures you showed were lovely.
ReplyDeleteThat is a pretty house and what a huge tree! All of your "wants" sound good to me. And please do think twice about getting a one bath house! Our house here is only one bathroom and I know big families used to do fine with one but when you get to be my and my husband's age things get really close sometimes! Especially early mornings. Just a half bath extra would be wonderful. Our son was going to build us an extra bathroom here but it would have meant me giving up my bedroom for the months of building and I'm not willing to do that so we cope.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can find a good walking location sometime. I know how important that is to you.
As we get older we start to value other things. When my children were small my dream was to have a very big house, now, I just want a small and comfortable house.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful house.
When we moved to our "Forever" home 13 years ago one of the main stipulations was a one story..no hills home. We got our hearts desire.
ReplyDeleteBefore that we lived for 41 years in a 2 story home on a Cul de Sac that was level but horrendous hills to get to it. So walking was next to impossible, though on occasion I did walk up and down it to get to a dentist appointment when our car was out of commission.
Nope don't miss that at all !!
I would love to have a wrap around porch though.. (:0)
Sue
I love everything about that house! Looks like a pretty view out the back too. I hope you get your dream house someday. Our dream was to retire on some land with a nice house. We ended up on 5 acres with a manufactured home - not our dream house but the compromise is OK. Our entire acreage slopes downhill, but we really don't notice it until we walk to the mailbox. We are surrounded by national forest, so I hear you on the clean up, but we don't have the fire danger that you live with every year.
ReplyDeleteHope you are doing well Sandy. :)
Pretty house. I agree with you on having a level place to walk. If we ever move again, I'd want a house with no stairs too because I have trouble with my knees.
ReplyDeleteMaravilha de casa!
ReplyDeleteThe road that leads to my house is pretty flat, but it's below the hill I live on. I can go E,W, N, or South and not a flat spot in sight. Well there is a field before I have to start climbing up a hillside. I get out of breath and tired from the hillside walks. I wonder if I could walk much farther if I lived down below and walked on flat land.
ReplyDeleteI love the house, it's just the kind I would love to live in as well. And that veranda, I call it that, not a porch. Imagine sitting there with your tea or coffee.
oh i really enjoyed each of your comments and peeks into your life ...I totally agree about more than 1 bathroom..for sure. I really doubt I could do it again. I was kind of surprised how many don't have a level area to walk or didn't in the past but do now. Really enjoyed reading each one of you - thanks for the input.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a pretty house. I hope you get everything you want!
ReplyDeleteaww thanks Martha. I'll probably be staying put for a long time where I am. I'm happy here - just wish it was level roads. Our landlords are great - have only raised our rent 50 dollar in seven years ...and you CAN't find anything affordable in Southerrn California any more. We in turn keep things updated as much as possible. We just redid the decks with new stain - as they really needed it after the harsh winters.
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful house. My cottage is on a level street just a couple of blocks from the bus stop. I have to walk uphill to get to the cabin, but I love it. Someday it may become too much for me. At least I can drive up the driveway, park in town, and walk there where it is flat.
ReplyDelete