Translate

Friday, November 16, 2018

FRONT PORCH POST - REDLANDS

So ....as my sister knows, I'm a touch obsessive/compulsive about things and one of the things I get obsessed with is getting a lot of angles when taking photos of certain houses i come across on my walks.

I also love a little adventure and exploration in my life - i especially love getting away with photographing peoples' houses without them seeing me.  After years and years of doing this I've only been asked 3 times why I am photographing their house.  I just take off running when that happens or  I say I am thinking about moving to the neighborhood and just checking things out - like what is there to steal - is there enough around the neighborhood that can supplement my income.

I came upon this porch not knowing when I was walking up the sidewalk that there would be this nice porch up ahead.

It's not hidden away like the other porch I just posted yesterday.  This one is easily seen and so my decorating and activities on this porch would be a little different. This is more of a people watching porch - so I would bring the drink of choice depending on the time of day (my Slimefast type drink and coffee in the morning, or my water in the afternoon and possibly once in awhile my beer in the late afternoon or just water again. I drink a lot of water.)



I also would have a magazine or book and a few pots on the railings but not too much.  I like to be able to check out who's walking by, especially if they have a camera.  Of course my geode would be sitting on a table nearby.  I'm also thinking wouldn't it be fun to take those mason jars with colored water and line them up on the railing (I must draw a sketch of that).  When my sister visits she can bring her art supplies and we will sit out there and create art. 

How would you decorate a porch like this?






8 comments:

  1. To me a front porch is for sitting in and watching the world go by … it definitely needs comfy chairs and somewhere to put my cup of tea!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a cozy porch to watch the world go by.

      Delete
    2. I think I'd keep it to a minimum on this porch. I would definitely have my camera ready in case I could catch a good shot of a bird, a butterfly and/or a hummer. I would probably read the morning paper out there with my coffee and I also would like some jars of colored water and I would put them where the sunlight could light them up! Then I would just have to get off that porch and take a walk through what looks like a nice neighborhood for walking. Oh, look! Down the street, that corner store! I see they offer baked goods. ; )

      Delete
    3. I like your "version" of this front porch. I definitely want the jars with colored water. I might do that somewhere next spring or summer where we get some sun on the deck railing. Oh yes I see that corner store - kind of like the one we would skate to or walk to in our neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. I love the red steps and the flowers along the front of this porch. I would also vote for comfortable chairs or maybe a porch swing. I'd want to sit out there in the morning and have a bird feeder nearby so I could watch the birds who come to visit. My mom used to sit on the porch swing on the porch of the house where I grew up. Quite often she would be shelling peas or snapping green beans from our garden while she sat there, so I might have some empty baskets or bowls sitting around for the vegetables. There may not be a vegetable garden in back of that house, but as long as I'm imagining, I'm going to put one there. My mom also used to have a little portable transistor radio that she listened to on the porch while she worked on the vegetables. It would be nice to have some music (James Taylor, maybe?) playing softly out there while watching the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chairs or porch swing - either way it would be comfortable. A bird feeder nearby - how come I didn't think of that and I love birds,, lol. I remember when we were little we would sit on the porch and do something or other with green beans with my mom. Love the idea of James Taylor playing on the radio. i didn't know you knit and crochet - I would love to learn again. I learned at one time the most simple basic crochet stitches. I love looking at beautiful items that are knitted or crocheted. Yes a garden. I need to look back at my pics and see if I caught a pic of the back yard as I walked by.

      Delete
    2. Sandy, we snapped off the ends of the green beans. As I read Connie's description it brought up that memory for me also. That must have been a rather common thing back in the day. Maybe it still is, but it feels like time has speeded up so much that it probably doesn't happen, especially when most moms work outside the house.

      Delete
    3. yes the ends - i knew we did something we them - i can recall sitting on the front steps of the porch. But it doesn't feel like we did it at all more than one time... I can tell what was important in my childhood and it wasn't usually mundane things like green bean chores - but the different ways we played outside and the times we had donuts or ice cream. The rest of it is blurry except when we were in the car finally on our way moving to california and i realized we had left behind my candy land game...in the cabinet under the window seat and they wouldn't turn back and get it. Thinking now what 10 year old would even play candy land. Geez we were so innocent back then.

      Delete